Electrical Accident

Two different situations are possible in the case of electrical shock – low voltage contact (up to 1000V) and high voltage contact (exceeding 1000V).

 

The only way to help a person shocked by high voltage current is to immediately notify the manager of the electrical equipment to disconnect the damaged equipment, and to call the emergency medical service. Do not in any event attempt to approach the person or the current leakage point, as any high voltage contact is deadly.
When assisting a person shocked by low voltage current, it is necessary to act quickly but determinedly:
  • first assess the situation and attempt to carefully interrupt the contact with the current. It can be done by terminating the electricity supply, turning off circuit breakers, motors, etc. If that is not possible, it is possible to attempt to “disconnect” the victim by using a non-conductive object (e.g., rubber or a dry piece of wood);
  • when the victim has been freed, attempt to communicate with him or her; if the victim does not respond, call the emergency medical service on the number 112. While waiting for the arrival of the ambulance, first aid can be provided by following the ABC principle;
  • if necessary, use resuscitation techniques – artificial respiration and cardiac massage. However, this should be done only by trained persons – haphazard actions can do more harm than good.